Monday, April 14, 2008 by Randy

TITLE: True Success

SCRIPTURE:
But Samuel said, “What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears? What is this lowing of cattle that I hear?” 1 Samuel 15:14 (NIV)

OBSERVATION:
Success is not always success. God commanded King Saul to completing destroy the Amalekites, their belongings, lifestock, all the people. Evernthing. However, Saul defeated them, he decided to keep the choice sheep and cattle as bounty. Saul thought he was on top of the world. He even went up to Mt. Carmel to set up a monument in his honor (vs. 12).
Howevedre, when the prophet Samuel met Saul he asked him about the bleating sheep and lowing cattle. Saul had not fully followed God's instruction. Samuel then spoke those famous words, "To obey is better than sacrifice." What appeared to be a great success was a complete failure. Not only did Saul fail to obey God was rejected by God as King.

APPLICATION:

Today's passage is a somber reminder that I need to fully folllow Christ. It is not enough to accomplish some "human achivement" or look successful in the eyse of others. The only real question for my life is "What does God think?" I need to think through what is success in God's eyes rather than mine. For example, I like people to like me and I like people! There are times I've measure my success by my popularity. In ministry, it is tempting to measure "numbers and noses" to see how I'm doing. All these kinds of things fall short of what God wants for my life. He wants me to know him and to grow in my relationship with him. The most important thing in my life is to obey God. This weekend I talked about the Good Shepherd and how he desire to leads us. I want to be led by God.


PRAYER
Father, thank you for reminding me that the most important thing is to obey you. Please show me your will and help me to fully follow you, even today. AMEN.

No comments: