Friday, April 11, 2008 by Nancy

Scripture:
"As for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by failing to pray for you."
1 Samuel 12:23

Observation:
As Samuel addresses the people near the end of his life, he walks them through their history with God. Time and again they have responded to God's faithfulness with unfaithfulness, to His grace by sinning, to His compassion by demanding their own way. As they people realize their record with God, they are frightened by the anticipation of consequences and beg Samuel to pray to God, His God, for them. Samuel responds in verse 23.

Application:
Samuel describes the failure to pray as a sin; I've never really thought about it that way but I see the truth of it now. First, failing to lift things to God in prayer indicates a kind of arrogance on my part, an unspoken belief that I don't need God's help--how foolish! Second, when I refuse or forget or am otherwise unwilling to pray, I am disobedient; scripture tells us to "Cast all your cares on Him, for He cares for you," not some, not from time to time, but all. Third, when I fail to pray I am unwittingly shortchanging the people for whom I pray, cutting them off from the potential blessing of God.

Prayer:
Heavenly Father, Forgive me--I spend far too much time trying to control my own life and far too little in conversation with you. Will you develop in me a habit of prayer? May I never be the reason that those I love and lead miss out on Your blessing. Amen.

No comments: