Monday, April 07, 2008 by Randy

TITLE:
Then and Now –Giving Others a Second Chance.

SCRIPTURE:
(Paul said) I am glad I can have complete confidence in you. 2 Cor. 7:16

OBSERVATION:
I think Paul had one of those "love-hate" relationships with the Corinthian church. Paul lived in the city for 18 months (Acts 18:1-18), planting a flourishing church. However, just a few years after leaving Corinth, things went downhill. Really downhill. That’s why Paul wrote his first letter (1Corinthians).

Then, the church was full of pride, excusing sexual immorality, spiritual gifts were being used improperly, and there was rampant misunderstanding of key Christian doctrines. Paul wrote to the Corinthian church at that time, "You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere men?" 1 Corinthians 3:3.

Now, the church had turned around. They had dealt with sin and were growing spiritually. Paul wrote these words of affirmation, “I am glad I can have complete confidence in you.” What a change in the Corinthian church! What a different attitude for Paul! Giving people and situations time to change is a mark of a great leader. Paul worked for years with the church and now was being to see long-term fruit.

APPLICATION:
Paul is a great example of perseverance with others. Change can happen! Just like Paul, I need to have faith and hope in every situation. Too often I write people off when they fail to grow and move ahead. I need to be willing to change my opinion about others, even after they’ve blown it. The fact is, I don’t want people to give up on me and I shouldn’t give up on them, either. Hebrews 3:13 says, “Encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness.”

PRAYER
Father, forgive me for giving up too quickly. Thank you for not giving up on me. Help me to be like Paul who knew things can change. I want to be willing and able to change my attitude about others, even others that have let me down. Thank you for your love and grace in our lives. I need you and ask you to change my heart and perspective. AMEN.

PERSONAL NOTE:
We just returned from the Holy Land yesterday. We had a wonderful time together, seeing and learning a bunch! God is so good and faithful! I hope you had a chance to keep up on our journey with Janna’s blog at http://holyland2008.wordpress.com/

No comments: