February 22, 2008 by Nancy

Scripture: Numbers 10:29 and 31-32
"Come with us; we'll treat you well. God has promised good things for Israel...Don't leave us...If you come with us, we'll make sure that you share in all the good things God will do for us."

Observation: As the children of Israel set out, obediently following God's presence, Moses turns his attention to his brother-in-law. He wants the man to stay; he knows all the best places to camp in the wilderness and will be a great asset. But he is hesitant, thinking of his native country instead of the Promised Land. Moses' confident reassurance of God's blessings finally convince him to stay. His expertise and knowledge will be invaluable to the travellers; God's blessings in his life will be incomparable.

Application: Moses has just finished explaining God's laws. They are specific, they are punishable by death, and they are many. That is not, however, where Moses begins his argument. He focuses not on what his brother-in-law will have to change or give up, not on wrongs, indiscretions, or offenses in his past behavior. His words are inspiring, full of hope and grace. He promises his brother-in-law not condemnation but blessing. He says, "Come with us, we'll treat you well...and...make sure you share in all the good things God will do for us."

I can see how home and country would be calling to him and I can see that a list of rules and restrictions, no matter how holy, would not be enticing. More than that though I can see that being included in the blessings of Jehovah-God would be more than he had ever imagined. That is what Moses offers him.

When I talk to people about God is that where I start? Am I so busy trying to tell them all the things that they must give up or change that I fail to explain God's blessings?!? Though God expects great things from his followers, it is His grace that saves us--not our works. Life change, discipline, and living a life in-bounds are all good things. They are honoring to God. But they are not where it begins. Christianity should be full of grace. It should be winsome. It should be inspiring. It should be joyful and sweet. That is what we have to offer. Is that what I live out? Is that what I invite people to be part of?

Prayer:
Jehovah-God,
Your blessings in my life are too many to count. I am so grateful for your salvation, the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, your gifts of family and friends in my life. Will you help me to live a life reflective of those blessings--one that points to You because of Your light in me? Please fill me up so completely with Your Spirit that His fruits flow out of me.
Amen

No comments: