Monday, February 25th, 2008 by Randy

Title: This little light of mine.

Scripture
Jesus said to them, “Do you bring in a lamp to put it under a bowl or a bed? Instead, don't you put it on its stand? Mark 4:21 (NIV)

Obersvation
Jesus used a simple lamp to illustrate a principle of his kingdom- it always dispels darkness. He asked his disciples what the purpose of a lamp using rhetorical questions - Do you put it under a bowl or bed? Dah--of course not, you put it on a stand for light!!The bottom line is if a lamp doesn't help people see, it is useless. (See Mark 4:21-25 and Mt 5:15)

Application
I remember that Sunday School song: "This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine." How is my light shining? Is my life pointing people Jesus? What "bowls" in my life keep peopel from seeing Jesus? My attitudes and actions can so easily keep God's light from shining through me.

Also, I'm excited about our "OUTFLOW" emphasis at church. I really believe God is calling me and our church family to a new way of seeing our world. It's a call to take our light from under the bed and put it on the stand in order for our community and beyond to see God's grace!!

Prayer
Lord Jesus, forgive me for the times I've hid your light under a bowl by my indifference and disobedience. Help me to be a light to the world around me, even today. AMEN.

No comments: