Thursday June 12, 2008 by Keith

Title: You're too old!

Scripture: 1 Kings 12:8 and 2 Chronicles 11:8
8 But Rehoboam rejected the advice the elders gave him and consulted the young men who had grown up with him and were serving him.

Observation:
It seems like the older I get the more I understand how much I don’t know… and how much those who are older than me know. It is amazing what life experiences and time can do.

Rehoboam found himself in a predicament. He needed advice and he needed it fast! He sought both the advise of elders and also of his peers. Unfortunately he chose the latter.

Reheoboam lacked wisdom to discern that the elders had probably been through a lot more than he had, and his peers probably had no experience in such a prominent position of authority.

Why did Reheoboam reject the elders advice? Maybe it didn’t match up with his ego? Maybe it didn’t allow him to look very strong in his friends eyes?

That mistake proved to be a tragic one. For himself and many others.

Application:
I can’t help but think of my own life when I read these stories. Although I’m not King, nor do I have 18 wives and 60 concubines. I have been placed in a position of authority and influence.

So, who do I seek for advice. Who are my elders?

How can I avoid the arrogance and pitfalls of kings like Reheoboam?

Paul, as an elder poured into young men like Timothy. May I head his words to the Philippians in chapter 2:3 “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

Prayer:
Lord, grant me wisdom to do what you desire. Thank you for elders who have experienced far more than I have. Would you remind me, convict me, and challenge me to pursue their advice? Forgive me for my youthful arrogance. May I learn from my mistakes and become an elder to those younger than I. Than you for your Word. May you be glorified in my life today. Amen and so be it!

No comments: