Monday, June 9th, 2008 by Randy

TITLE:
Careful, Wise Living!

SCRIPTURE:
“Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.” Ephesians 5:15-16 (NIV)

OBSERVATION:
Paul urges believers to be “very careful how they live.” This literally means “to see, to look at” every choice that’s made. Paul is saying that, as Christians, our way of living needs to be scrutinized. How do we do that? Paul writes that careful living can only be lived with godly wisdom—“Not as unwise, but wise.” I always come back to this definition of wisdom. It is seeing things from God’s point of view. The psalmist said that we are to “number our days that we may gain a heart of wisdom” Psalm 90:12. Paul knew that we only have so long here on earth. Let’s live each day wisely. Let’s make our life count! That why he expresses such a sense of urgency to make “the most of every opportunity.” He says that we need to do that “because the days are evil.” The word evil could be translated “worthless.” I love Paul’s perspective, in the the midst of things going wrong and what seems, at times, worthless, we should make the most of every chance we get!

APPLICATION:
Today’s verses contrasts my journaling the other day where Solomon’s warned, “The fool folds his hands and ruins himself.” Ecclesiastes 4:5. There is a huge difference between the fool and the wise. The fool gives up. The wise makes the most of every situation. Unfortunately there are times I’ve played the fool, by thinking about “folding my hands” and throwing in the towel. That’s when God comes along side me, just like this morning and tells me that I need to be careful and live wisely. The fact is, the very things that appear discouraging and even “evil” are opportunities I need to "be careful and wise" and not give up! As a Christ-follower, I’m not free to do whatever I want. He wants me to seek his wisdom and act in such a way that he receives all the glory and honor, even today!

PRAYER:
Father, thank you for reminding me not to give up, but to make the most of every opportunity. Thank you that you are such a faithful God. Thank you that you never give up on me. Help me to live a careful, wise life that pleases you! AMEN.

No comments: