Friday, May 30, by Nancy

Scripture:
It's the same today. There's a fiercely loyal minority still—not many, perhaps, but probably more than you think. They're holding on, not because of what they think they're going to get out of it, but because they're convinced of God's grace and purpose in choosing them. If they were only thinking of their own immediate self-interest, they would have left long ago.
Romans 11:5-6 (Msg.)

Observation:
In Paul's explanation to the Gentiles about God's salvation and how it is now available to them, he remembers Elijah's struggles with an unfaithful people. He tells the church in Rome that it is the same today. Just as in the days of Elijah there was a faithful remnant he did not know of, in Paul's day there was a small remnant of faithful Jews too. He explains that they are faithful because "they are convinced of God's grace and purpose in choosing them."

Application:
While we don't have the same cultural expectations about Jew and Gentile or insider and outsider, we can still be convinced of God's grace and purpose in choosing us. I for one am convinced! Ephesians tells me that it is through God's grace that I have been saved and sadly no one knows better than I the truth of that statement! There is nothing I can point to in my own life that says I have earned anything, never an achievement or sacrifice or diligence that would merit salvation. No, it is only through the grace of God that I have been saved.

The same passage in Ephesians goes on to talk about God's purpose for me too: to do good works--not because they will help me achieve anything, not because they will bring me wealth or health or happiness. God purposed that I would do good works in honor of Him, that my life would be so full of His Spirit that the good works would over-flow from my life.

My motivation in all things must be one of pleasing God, of living out His purpose in my life. It is His grace and His choice that make me able to do any good works at all; certainly it is not anything I am or have or can be that makes it possible! So I must serve because He gives me grace for the circumstance. I must give because He provides abundantly for me. I must love because His love in me overflows. And I must choose daily, hourly, task by task, that all glory goes to Him.

Prayer:
God, I am convinced that it is Your grace and purpose for me that has given me a calling in life. Not a career or profession but a life calling of living in Your grace and extending it to others. Forgive me for so often becoming convinced of my own worthiness, of selfishly putting my wants and desires above those of the people You place in my life. Help me to see with your eyes, to extend grace in every circumstance, to live a life that points to You and Your purpose for me.
Amen.

No comments: