Monday, June 2nd, 2008 by Randy


TITLE:

On Getting Advice

SCRIPTURE:
“For waging war you need guidance, and for victory many advisers.” Proverbs 24:6 (NIV)

OBSERVATION:
One of the repeating themes of Proverbs is to seek counsel. “A wise man listens to advice” (Proverbs 12:13). “Plans fail for lack of counsel” (Prov. 15:16). “Plans…with many advisers they succeed” (Proverbs 15:22). Once again, in today’s reading, “for victory you need many advisers” (Proverbs 24:6). The Bible says that King Solomon was the wisest person who ever lived. Yet when he wrote Proverbs he said he still needed the input of others. He was basically saying, “Don’t go it alone – always get others’ perspective.” Unfortunately, sometimes in our culture asking for advice is perceived as a sign of weakness or a lack of confidence. In reality, just the opposite is true. It takes strength and confidence to be vulnerable enough to ask. We should never make a major decision without the wisdom and counsel of others. It is foolish not to ask for it.

APPLICATION:
God wants me to look to others for counsel and direction. The fact is, I don’t have it all put together! I have blind spots. I don’t see all the angles and alternatives. I lack the objectivity to evaluate every choice. God wants me to make a renewed commitment to never make a major decision alone. I’m so grateful for the staff, leaders, friends and family who I can go to for advice.

PRAYER:
Father, help me to never be ashamed or hesitant to ask for advice. Thank you that I can always come to you. I really need your wisdom and direction in my life. Let me be open and vulnerable with others that I can make the decisions that bring honor and glory to You. AMEN.



No comments: