Monday, May 25th, 2008 by Randy

TITLE
Wise Guy

SCRIPTURE:
“ Blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who gains understanding…” Proverbs 3:13 (NIV)

OBSERVATION:
Today’s Bible reading brings us to the book of Proverbs, those ancient words of wisdom written by Solomon. My notes says that “Proverbs gives practical suggestions for effective living. This book is not just a collection of homey sayings; it contains deep spiritual insights drawn from experience. A proverb is a short, wise, easy-to-remember saying that calls a person to action.”
Proverbs 3:13 says that the person who finds wisdom will be “blessed.” The word “blessed” means to be happy, to be fully fulfilled. I don’t think anyone would turn that down, yet how often is wisdom rejected for some fleeting desire. Even Solomon, the wisest man who ever lived, did not follow his own advice (see 1 Kings 11 – yesterday’s reading).

The teachings of Proverbs are intended to lead us to God’s best for life. Here are just a few principles I noted in just the first three chapters of Proverbs:
1. Revere (fear) God, it the beginning of wisdom (Proverbs 1:7)
2. Remember the folly of sin and resist it (Proverbs 1:10-19)
3. Remember all of the benefits of wise living –nothing beats it! (Proverbs 2)
4. Trust God and seek him in all I do. (Proverbs 3:6)
5. Put God first in my finances (Proverbs 3:9,10)
6. Respond to God’s Discipline (Proverbs 3:11-12)

Wisdom is not education, wisdom is a lifestyle. Someone said that wisdom is "seeing and living life from God's perspective." That's what Proverbs is all about!

APPLICATION:
What about my life? How committed am I to seek God and his wisdom? I want to live my life from God's perspective. I want to be a wiser person. My perspective is always skewed, but wisdom sees things clearly. My goals tend to be short-sighted, while wisdom sees eternity. I’m so glad that God promised that if anyone asks for wisdom, he will freely give it to him (James 1:5). I want to learn and grow! I look forward to reading through the book of Proverbs again! I want to be teachable and filled with God’s wisdom.


PRAYER:
Father, I need your wisdom. I want to know your will and wisdom. I ask, in faith, for the wisdom that comes from you. Teach me. Mold me. Use me. Help me to fully follow you. AMEN.

No comments: