March 19, 2008 by Andy

1 Corinthians 4:20 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power.

Actions speak louder than words is one of those phrases that you hear tossed around quit a bit. I hear on ESPN as well as the Food Network. It is a basic principle that says what you do means more than what you say. I 1 Corinthians 4:20 Paul gives this line that basically is saying the same thing only it is about God. “For the Kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power.”

The kingdom of God is referred to I scripture in a few different ways. I believe that Paul is referring to the idea of living like Christ or living in God’s will. I know that this passage deserve further study but since this is just my journal I think I am fine. I hear Paul saying that God is not a God of only words but he is a God of Power and action. Honestly I think Paul is encouraging his audience to be of the same mind. As I read I need to look in my life and see where I have had a tendency to operate in a “words” realm and not is God’s kingdom. I think that challenge comes to me in the form of evangelism and loving my neighbors. I usually just do life and wait for these 2 opportunities to arise. It isn’t terrible but it just isn’t living as if God’s Kingdom is a matter of Power. I need to be seeking out my neighbors and seeing how I can love them and I need to be seeking relationships that I may be able to lead someone to Christ. Living this way means that the Kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of Power.

Lord help me to live as if your kingdom has power. I don’t want to be a talker but I want to be a doer. May I always be quick to act on your word and to love those that enter my life. May I also always be seeking our those whose lives need to be touched my you. AMEN

No comments: