Friday, March 21, by Nancy

Scripture:
"The men of Israel sampled their provisions but did not inquire of the Lord."
Joshua 9:14

Observation:
In the midst of conquering the Promised Land, Joshua and the people are tricked by the Gibeonites. They were thorough in their disguise and beguiling in their speech and Joshua was deceived. Though God instructed them to destroy all of the inhabitants of the land, they made an accord with the Gibeonites that they would let them live as their slaves. The people of Gibeon chose life-long servanthood over sure death.

I've always wondered at the inclusion of this story in the account of Joshua and the Israelites. I think the reason for it is in verse 14--they did not inquire of the Lord. While their motives were good, their impulse merciful, their instinct to check on the veracity of the story, they failed to consult with El Deah, the God of Knowledge.

Application:
I do that too. I carefully consider, I get wise counsel, I ponder, but honestly, sometimes I fail to consult my God. Of course I check my motives; of course I consider the morality of the decision; of course I act with integrity; but I do not always inquire of the Lord. And I foolishly blunder hurting myself and others, causing difficulties and complications which would have been easily avoided had I asked the God who knows.

Wise counsel, consideration, morality and integrity are all good. I should continue to seek them but firstI must seek the One Who Knows.

Prayer:
Forgive me, Father, for foolishly making decisions without coming first to you. I know you know me like none other. You know my going out and my coming in. You knit me together in my mother's womb. I trust you always to lead me where you know is best. Stir my heart to come first to you--to inquire of the Lord before I take any other steps.
Amen.

No comments: