Friday, March 7, by Nancy

Scripture:
He came back and found them sound asleep. He said to Peter, "Simon, you went to sleep on me? Can't you stick it out with me a single hour? Stay alert, be in prayer, so you don't enter the danger zone without even knowing it. Don't be naive. Part of you is eager, ready for anything in God; but another part is as lazy as an old dog sleeping by the fire." Mark 14:37-38

Observation:
It seems that on the night of Jesus' betrayal, he felt his humanness more than ever. As he considers the task he faces, he prays asking God, His Father, to take it away. He is in anguish and despair yet remains the Holy One, Messiah, choosing God's way over his own desires. In the midst of this struggle, he turns to his disciples, these men he has poured his life into. He turns to them for support and encouragement, to be lifted up, to be affirmed; but he finds them sleeping.

Application:
His words to Peter ring true in my life too. There are two sides of me--one eager to follow after what God has planned, one as lazy as an old dog by the fire! I want to live my life as the eager Christ-follower, ready to face whatever comes as I live in obedience. I want to so embrace that side that the other, the lazy and selfish one atrophies and melts away.

Prayer:
Jesus, I say today that I want to follow after you--to live my life committed to submissive obedience, to practice grace in my daily activities, to be characterized by your presence in me. Will you begin today to replace that dog-like, self-centered part of me with your goodness? Will you in your faithfulness and daily mercy fill me up with passion for you and your word so that it eclipses my selfish desires? Thank you for all you have done in my life--for blessings and gifts too many to name or even count. Your greatness and grace are more than I can understand. Amen.

No comments: