Monday, March 3rd, 2008 by Randy

TITLE
One wish.

SCRIPTURE
“What do you want me to do for you?” Jesus asked him. The blind man said, “Rabbi, I want to see.” Mark 10:51 (NIV)

OBSERVATION
Jesus was on his way “up” to Jerusalem (Mark 10:32). One of the stopping places along the journey was Jericho, which by the way, was a popular resort city rebuilt by Herod the Great:-). As they were leaving town, a blind beggar named Bartimaeus shouted to him, “Jesus, son of David, have mercy on me.” Jesus heard and asked “What do you want me to do for you?” Talk about the Genie being out of the bottle—here is Jesus asking this blind person for one wish, “What do you want me to do for you? For the record, blindness was considered a curse from God for sin (Jn 9:2). Bartimaeus didn’t ask for wealth or power --he simply wanted to see!

APPLICATION
I’m not sure how I would have responded if Jesus asked me “What do you want me to do for you?” For Blind Bartimaeus it was his physical sight. He was desperate to see. I often wonder how blind I am, spiritually speaking. Like this blind beggar, I’m a pauper, nothing to offer God. I know that I don’t see the kingdom the way I should. But, I want to see! I want to see God in all his fullness. I want to see things the way God see them. I want to see with spiritual eyes! How often do I miss the mark because of my blindness.

PRAYER
My prayer and plea, Lord Jesus, is that you would open my eyes that I might see. Help me to see you and know you more. Help me to see what you would have me to do and be. I want to fully follow you. AMEN.

No comments: