Thursday March 6, 2008 by Keith

Title: Only One!

Scripture: “Acknowledge and take to heart this day that the LORD is God in heaven above and on the earth below. There is no other.” Deuteronomy 4:39

Observation: This statement seems like a no-brainer. God’s chosen people would have to know that the Lord is God and that there is no other!

Sometimes the most obvious things are missed. The Israelites who had innumerable examples of God, being God, still chose to sin and put other things in front of Him. They would worship man-made images/idols, lust after things, and ultimately loose heart that God is but one God.

Earlier in this chapter the Israelites are encouraged to remember all that God had done for their forefathers and for them. They are encouraged not to forget what happened to those that stopped worshiping God. And ultimately they were encouraged to observe God’s law, his commands that he gave because he loves them.

Application: How many times do I miss the obvious? This day, today, the Lord has made. How am I going to respond? Will I remember all that the Lord has done for me, will I remember what he’s done throughout history, and will I remember his law, his commands, His perfect Word?

Some days are better than others. Some days I act like there is a God and no other. However, I too have fallen into the trap of placing things before God. I might place my time, my family, my wants, my selfishness, and so on.

I like how this verse starts, “Acknowledge and take to heart…” First you need to acknowledge. Once you do that you take to heart. You can’t take it to heart until you full acknowledge the fact… then you are encouraged… then… It’s like you get it, that “this day that the LORD is God.”

Prayer: LORD God, I acknowledge you today! You alone are God. Help me to live for You. May I share with the world around me that You are God in heaven and on earth. Thanks for being such an awesome God!

No comments: