Monday, March 10th, 2008 by Randy

Title
Give us your poor!

Scripture

Give generously to him (the poor) and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the LORD your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to. Deuteronomy 15:10 (NIV)

Observation
When the Israelites entered the Promised Land, God told them to help the poor. In fact, his desire was to have no poor among his people. Deuteronomy 15:4 says “However, there should be no poor among you, for in the land the LORD your God is giving you to possess as your inheritance, he will richly bless you.” It could not be a land of promise unless even the least was satisfied.

God told them not to resent the needy, but to embrace each one with loving generosity. There is a Biblical principle that basically says we can only receive as we give. It here in this verse! God gives this promise to the giver. “Then, because of this, the LORD your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to.” Wow!

Application
Sometimes I feel my giving is like my praying, I need to do more. It is too easy for me to rationalize away the poor and needy –after all, is it not their fault they’re in this situation? As I look around our community who do I need to help? It doesn’t always have to be physical poverty. This includes all kinds of hurts, emotional, relational and spiritual. How can New Hope Church be more generous? Are we entering a new phase in the life of our Body where God is giving us a new vision and desire to serve others? I hope so! What can I do to help someone in need, even today?

Prayer
Father, I want to help those in need. Forgive me for my selfishness. Sometimes I get too busy and preoccupied to see the needs around me. I want to be more genersous and giving. Fill me with your Spirit. Help me to reach out to others in your hame. AMEN.

No comments: