January 30, 2008 by Andy

Acts 6:10 “but they could not stand up against his wisdom or the Spirit by whom he spoke.”

In this passage Stephen is preaching the Word of God and he is arrested because of it. Once he gets arrested he ends up in a debate of sorts with the powers that be. In this debate we come across verse 10 where the scriptures say “but they could not stand up against his wisdom or the Spirit by whom he spoke.” This stands out for a couple reasons. The first is that Stephen had extraordinary wisdom and second that he was led by God.

I find the first comment about Stephen's wisdom so intriguing because it is in reference to Stephen's knowledge. When I read that I think of the work that Stephen put into learning about God. I am reminded of the effort that he put in in order to have this wisdom. I also find the second comment about the Spirit of God being there with equally intriguing.

There is a relationship to what I do to learn more about God and then God speaking through me. I know that I cannot do anything outside of God's help but I am also a believer in doing what I can and being faithful in my own study life. God wanted Stephen to learn and study so that he may gain Godly wisdom and to be able to give an account of his faith. I believe God desires that for my life also. God wants me to learn what I can so that I can gain wisdom and then he will be there to help me with what I don’t know. I must be faithful with my part.

Lord, may I always be pursuing knowledge of You. May I always do my part to learn what I can about you. Give me the knowledge and wisdom that can only come from you.

No comments: