Thursday July 10, 2008 by Keith

Title: How to live

Scripture:
Micah 6:7-8
7 Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, 
       with ten thousand rivers of oil? 
       Shall I offer my firstborn for my transgression, 
       the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?
 8 He has showed you, O man, what is good. 
       And what does the LORD require of you? 
       To act justly and to love mercy 
       and to walk humbly with your God.

Observation:
I am familiar with verse 8 because of a song that easily repeats in my mind. However, when I read the verse in context it has a much more serious tone.
Micah the prophet is warning Israel about how they are living.
The conclusion is, it doesn’t matter what you give (verse 7), but it’s about who you are. God cares most about our character - one that reflects Him. God desires for us to walk with him, to act justly and love mercy.
If I live a double life, one of hypocrisy, it really doesn’t matter what I bring to God… because He has shown me what is good and what He requires.
God’s people knew what was right yet they often chose the wrong life style.

Application:
When I look at my life, am I acting justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my Lord God?
It sure sounds easy, in fact it makes a great line for a catchy song. But, there is a strong reality that what God requires is much different than man’s or my own perception.
There is no greater example of one that lived a life of justice, mercy, and humility; that is Jesus Christ.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, that is my desire today, to live in His power, with him, and for Him.

Prayer:
Lord, to you be the glory for the great things you have done. Help me to see areas of my life you are not please with and repent of those things. Help me follow you, that I might please you. In Christ, so be it and amen

No comments: