Friday, July 11, by Nancy

Scripture:
Because when all is said and done,
the last word is Immanuel—God-With-Us.
Isaiah 8:10b (MSG)

Observation:
In the midst of Isaiah's prophecy of coming hardship followed by a redeemer is this little nugget of simplicity and truth. Truly, the last word is "Immanuel." The miracle of God-with-us is the answer to each question, the solution to every problem, the hope for every failure. The presence of the Creator of the Universe, the sacrificial accommodation for our sin, the personification of mercy and grace that is Jesus are all we need to know!

Application:
How troubling to realize how accustomed I am to God's grace. I am so confident of His mercy that I often fail to consider where I would be without it. "There but for the grace of God..." is the most remarkable truth I can utter and yet it is a cliche, devoid of true meaning. The real truth is that God sent His son, sacrificially, not to be king, not to condemn, not to mete out punishment or retribution but to offer grace.

As one who claims to be a follower of Christ the last word must truly be "Immanuel." It must characterize my life--if God is truly with me, how will I act? Does my every-day-walking-around-life show my belief that God is with me? What do my habits look like to others? If God is truly with me, how will I speak? Are my words filled with truth? with graciousness? with compassion? What about my attitude? Does it demonstrate God-with-me? Do I exhibit patience and self-control? If God is truly with me, how will I think? Are my thoughts influenced by my confidence that God is with me?

It's easy to get caught up in the wrong culture--to embrace our Western/American ideals and values instead of those of the Christ-follower. I don't know into which camp he falls, but Tim Russert's dad, Big Russ, is credited with saying, "Blessed but not entitled." I love the truth of that and the reminder in it. God-with-us. Can you imagine? What blessing can possibly be greater? So how can I walk around acting as though I deserve things or consideration or whatever? I have Immanuel in my life. I am blessed beyond measure and that is the last word.

Prayer:
I can't imagine, Lord, the grace it takes to offer your Son. I cannot fathom what it is to give your people Immanuel and then watch us making such fools of ourselves as though we have somehow done it on our own. And I am one of the fools. Forgive me. I know I've done nothing to earn or deserve your astonishing grace.

It is my desire to live in such a way that others see You in me, to be so filled up with Jesus that His Spirit leaks from me. Be honored in my life. Be glorified in my actions, be lifted up in my words, be magnified in my thoughts. I am blessed beyond imagining but not entitled.

May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O God.
Amen

No comments: