Thursday May 15, 2008 by Keith

TITLE: The Coach Says We Can Do More!

SCRIPTURE:
1 Thessalonians 4:1 “Finally, brothers, we instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more.”

OBSERVATION:
In this first letter to the church in Thessalonica Paul finishes with great encouragement “Finally, brothers, we instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more.”

He tells them first that they heard instructions to please God and second that they were actually carrying out the task of pleasing God. Now Paul takes it a step further and says “do it more and more.” Wouldn’t it be enough just to say great job… no, not for Paul, he’s the passionate coach that says, “you can do even more!”

APPLICATION:
What would Paul write to us the church today? Specifically our church, New Hope. Would there be any great exhortations like this one? Would he find major areas to criticize? Or could we be the church that follows God’s instructions and are pleasing God by all that we are doing?

All of these questions are really more personal than they are for the church body. Because if I am living a life that is pleasing God, I will model to others how to do it… and the more I do it authentically… the more it will multiply in those around me.

As I read this text today I hear Paul, through God’s word urging me to walk in the Lord Jesus more and more and to know the Scriptures and live by them, therefore pleasing the Lord.

PRAYER:
Thank you Father for your Word. I am grateful for the reminder, convictions, and encouragement. I want to please you. I want our church to please you. May this be for your glory Jesus. Amen.

No comments: