Monday, May 12th, 2008 by Randy

TITLE
Getting Right with God.

SCRIPTURE
“For I have kept the ways of the LORD;I have not done evil by turning from my God. All his laws are before me; I have not turned away from his decrees. I have been blameless before him and have kept myself from sin. The LORD has rewarded me according to my righteousness, according to my cleanness in his sight.” 2 Samuel 22:22-25 (NIV)

OBSERVATION
As I read this passage this morning, my first impression was that David was boasting, brashly claiming, “I right with God because I’m perfect.” How could he write, “I have been blameless and…kept myself from sin?” After all, David wasn’t perfect. David had sinned greatly against Uriah and Bathsheba. Adultery and murder aren’t exactly good deeds! Psalm 51 expresses David’s repentance and remorse. He wrote, “For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me” (Psalms 51:3).

So how could David pen these praises? David understood the depth of God’s forgiveness. He knew that God had graciously made him “whiter than snow” with a brand new "clean heart" (Ps 51:7,10). Some told me that each snow flake contains a particle of dust, that’s why the Bible says “whiter than snow!” The word for this is “justification” –just as I had never sinned. God’s forgives my sin thoroughly! “As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.” Psalms 103:12 (NIV).

APPLICATION
I am in awe of God’s love and forgiveness. He provided the ways that I can be made clean and perfect. It is through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. He replaces my imperfections with his perfection. Because of his grace, he no longer sees my sin. One of my favorite verses is 1 John 1:9 “If we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive our sins and purify us from ALL unrighteousness.” Wow!

PRAYER
Lord Jesus, thank you for your forgiveness and grace in my life. I confess my sin to you… the areas that I know and even those I don’t know. I lean on your promise to purify me from all unrighteousness. Thank you that all my sin is under your blood. Thank you! AMEN.


No comments: