February 27 by Andy

Numbers 21:21-32

This chapter is probably my favorite in all of scripture. What we have is a man of God riding a donkey, headed to see the Israelite army. God wanted Balaam to go but Balaam was being hasty and moving too quickly. God sent an angel to deliver a message but only the donkey was able to see the messenger. 3 times the donkey saw the angel and stopped and 3 times Balaam beat the donkey. Finally God opens the donkeys mouth and Balaam actually has a conversation with the animal. After this Balaam sees the angel and repents for his ignorance.

The only thing that is funnier then a talking donkey is the man who has a conversation with that donkey. I wonder what was going through Balaam’s head when his trusty donkey spoke. Was he scared, confused, or even just a little weirded out? From the text I would say no. In fact I would have to come to the conclusion based on Balaam’s reaction that he thought nothing odd of it. He engaged in conversation with his pet donkey. When I read this first of all I laugh because it is pretty funny reading about a talking donkey. Once I am done laughing I start to wonder why would God use a talking donkey to tell Balaam that there is an angel in front of him. Honestly I don’t really know. Maybe God wanted to humble Balaam and let him know that his donkey is more in tune with what God wants then him. Maybe he just wanted to be creative and shock Balaam. At any rate God got his message across in a unique and I am sure a very memorable way.

I learn from this passage. I can take some of these principles and apply them to my life. I think one lesson I can learn is that if my dog ever tells me something that I better listen and that it is ok to have a conversation. On a more serious note I see God using unique methods that are outside of the box in order to communicate his desire. I hope I don’t get to the point where God has to speak through an animal to get the point across. My desire is that I would be able to hear God before that or to be an active listener to what God would have for me.

Dear Lord, you are an amazing and creative God. I thank you for all the way that you speak to us and I pray that I would always be a good listener and that I would always be in tune to what you would have for me. May I always be open to what you are saying to me. Amen

1 comment:

New Hope Staff said...

I think I read this same thing in my "daily bread"