February 11th, 2008 by Randy

Title: Atonement!

Scripture: “He is to lay both hands on the head of the live goat and confess over it all the wickedness and rebellion of the Israelites—all their sins—and put them on the goat's head. He shall send the goat away into the desert in the care of a man appointed for the task.” Leviticus 16:21 (NIV)

Observation: No doubt, the Day of Atonement was the most significant day for the Israelites. It was the day that all their sins were forgiven. The word atonement simply means “to make amends.” The Hebrew word, according to my notes, means “to cover.” The Day of Atonement “covered” their sin and “made amends” with God.

The ceremony involved two goats, one sacrificed, the other released. The sacrificed goat provided forgiveness. The freed goat removed guilt. The same ritual had to be repeated every year, until...Jesus came.

Jesus Christ's death replaced the Day of Atonement when he gave his life once for all. Hebrews 10:3-4 reminds us of the shortcoming of human ceremony. Animal sacrifices could only “cover” but Christ “made us holy” through his blood. Hebrews 10:10 (NIV) says, “But those sacrifices are an annual reminder of sins because it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.” Jesus and Jesus alone can take away our sins.

Application: This morning I’m so grateful for Jesus Christ. I need a fresh reminder of God’s grace and cost of the cross. Only because of his love, I am forgiven. There is nothing within me, nothing that can do, nothing that I am that warrants this grace. Nehemiah expressed my deepest feelings -- “What a gracious and merciful God you are!” Nehemiah 9:31. I'm so glad that "God doesn’t grade by the curve, he grades by the cross." I like that :-).

Prayer: Thank you Jesus, for great sacrifice for us! I can’t express how grateful I am for your grace. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for giving your life that I might have life. Thank you for your forgivenness!! I love you. I need you! AMEN.

No comments: