Monday, July 28th, 2008 by Randy

TITLE:
“The Way of Balaam”

SCRIPTURE:
“They have left the straight way and wandered off to follow the way of Balaam son of Beor, who loved the wages of wickedness.” 2 Peter 2:15 (NIV)


OBSERVATION:
Peter uses the example of Balaam to show how religious leaders can use their position for personal gain. He writes that these people start out on the “straight way,” but they “wander off” to follow the way of Balaam. What is this “way of Balaam?”

Balaam was a sorcerer, hired by the pagan king, Balak, to curse Israel. At first, it looked like Balaam was an honest, God-fearing man. In fact, as you read his story, you’ll discover that he blessed Israel, rather than cursed them ( Nu 22-24 ). However, underneath his good nature and kind deeds were wrong motives. Peter says that he “loved the wages of wickedness.” The word "love" here is one of the few places in the New Testament where the word “agape” is used in negative way. Balaam "agaped" the wrong things. Frankly, he was more in love with his money than God's ministry. Utimately, he put himself first and it cost him his life (see Numbers 25:1-3; 31:16).

APPLICATION:

Motives are funny things! They are so easily skewed and masked by our desires to be right and to "look" right. Most people think their motives are pure. It’s our human default. The Bible says that only GOd really knows our hearts. What about my heart? What are my motives in ministry? I’d like to say that everything I do is for God. However, there are times where I know that I’m selfish. I’m more worried about my hurts and my rights. God wants me to let go of any gain for myself and give my life completely to him. My life verse is “For to me is Christ and to die is gain” Phil. 1:21. May that be true of me--to live only for Christ.

PRAYER:

Heavenly Father, forgive me when my motives are wrong. Purify my heart. May my desires never be for personal gain, but for You to receive all the glory and honor. May that be true, even today. AMEN.

No comments: