Monday, May 5th, 2008 by Randy

TITLE: Wrong Assumptions

SCRIPTURE:
1 Chronicles 19:2 (KJV) And David said, I will show kindness unto Hanun the son of Nahash, because his father showed kindness to me. And David sent messengers to comfort him concerning his father. So the servants of David came into the land of the children of Ammon to Hanun, to comfort him.

OBSERVATION:
Nahash, King of Ammon had died. To show sympathy to his grieving son, Hanun, David sent messengers to comfort him. However, Hanum was adviced that they had come to spy out the city. So rather than receive David's kindness, Hanum reacted and had these men forcibly shaven and stripped. These actions were extremely humiliating for the men and insulting for Israel. My notes say that “In Israelite culture, all men wore full beards. It was a sign of maturity and authority.”

What happened? Simple. Nanum misread David’s movtives. Worse yet,even when he realized that David was angry, Nanum would not back down. Rather than rethinking the advice he received or seek clarity, he got "ready to rumble!" The tensions escalated, ending in the Ammonites defeat in battle. Interestingly enough, David was the first Israelite ruler to conquer the Ammonites, even though he never intended to go to war with them. And it all started with a wrong assumption.

APPLICATION:
How often have I made wrong assumptions? Or wrong assumptions have been made about me? It is so easy for us to be overly suspicion of another’s actions. I should never “fill in the blanks” but rather seek clarification. The sad thing is that when I leave a situation unresolved, almost always, it escalates into something far worse. I need the courage and grace to have those crucial conversations, even when they are difficult.

PRAYER
Father, thank you for reminding me today about the importance of communicating clearly with others. Forgive me for the wrong assumptions I’ve made about others just as I forgive those who have made wrong assumptions about me. Please give me the wisdom and the courage to do what’s right. AMEN.

No comments: