May 1, 2008 by Keith

Scripture:
Matthew 18:12-14
"What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off? 13And if he finds it, I tell you the truth, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off. 14In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should be lost.

Observation:
Jesus interrupts our reality shares a truth about God’s heart. God, our Father, the Shepherd of humanity is more concerned about the lost than he is about the “found.” There seems to be a great burden and concern for those who have wondered, lost their way, and are confused.

I wonder what this translates to in today’s terms. What would a modern day parable look like to share God’s deep concern for those who have wondered?

One thing is for sure, God hasn’t changed, he is still concerned about people being reached and saved by the Shepherd.

Application:
I can still remember the year that my life was changed by following Jesus. It was as if I had “come home.” Yet, I never knew about this home. Somehow in my 15 years of following Christ those feelings have settled and I know focus on the “sheep” around me.

Have I forgot what it was like to be confused and lost? Jesus reminds us that we need to remember what God’s heart longs for. He desires for the wonderers to come home, to find refuge, safety, and hope.

How can I be more like Christ? Do I have his heart? Am I spending my life, energy, and resources to reach those whom Christ Jesus would reach?

Prayer:
Help me Lord to see the world the way you see it. Help me to see children through your eyes. Father, give me compassion for your children that are wondering from you. Holy Spirit guide me as I seek to follow you. I rejoice that I have been saved by your grace. I also ask that I would reach out to others like you reached out to me. In Jesus wonderful name. so be it.

No comments: