January 16th by Andy

Luke 16:13

"No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."

This is a verse that I have heard many many times yet each time I read it seems to have renewed meaning in my life. In this passage Jesus is telling a story about and money. Jesus often spoke on those issues that affect people the most. He managed to summarize His whole point in a couple sentences at the end saying “no servant can serve two masters…You cannot serve both God and money.” When I hear that verse I feel like it was written this morning. It seems to ring true just as strong as it did when Jesus said it. I cannot live my life for God and still have making money my one priority.

What Jesus said here is about the most counter cultural thing he could say. Money makes things happen, it brings comfort to all, and it makes people happy. That is at least what we are led to believe. TV, radio, movies, books, magazines and music all point to money as being our savior and comforter. Money does give a quick fix but it leaves us feeling the same way we did before we got it. God is the only thing that can bring fulfillment. I don’t think Jesus is telling this story out of anger but rather it seems like he would be telling this story out of compassion. If people were to pursue money then they will find money but they would not find God. If people were to pursue God then they would find love and contentment.

I have to make sure that I am only serving God. What is of God will last forever and that is what I want to be a part of. My money can run out but God’s love will never ever run out.

Lord, may I always be serving you. May I never be caught up in the things of this world that are temporary. I want to live for you and to be all about what you are all about.

Amen

No comments: