Friday, April 25, 2008 by Nancy

Duh!

Scripture:
"How much more valuable is a man than a sheep! Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath." Matthew 12:12

Observation:
During Jesus' ministry he consistently disagreed with the Pharisees and Jewish rulers of the day. He refused to trade true obedience for rule-following and reminded them time and again that God desires a heart of submission rather than a life of sacrifice. The leaders of the day were frustrated and looked for ways to trip him up. Here they ask him if it is acceptable to heal on the Sabbath--if the Sabbath is a day of rest than clearly work is wrong and isn't healing work? Jesus answers them with a reminder which is probably a little embarrassing if they are willing to accept its truth: "It is lawful to do good on the Sabbath."

Application:
I wish I could say I had no idea what they were thinking. It's so very obvious that doing good is lawful. How obtuse do you have to be to need a reminder for that!?! But honestly I have had to be reminded of simple truths like that myself; I can think of one time in particular where I got so anxious about how to respond to someone, felt so wronged by their behavior that I lost sight of the simple truth, and a trusted friend reminded me that I would never go wrong taking the high road. It was great advise--Godly advise--at just the right time.

I guess my challenge then is to live my life so in touch with my Savior that I don't need reminders that it is lawful to do good. As it becomes habit for me maybe I can even become that faithful friend to someone else.

Prayer:
Thank you, Father, for your faithfulness in placing friends in my life that point me to You. Please empower me to live so plugged-in to you that I need those reminders less and less. Thank you for your patience with me and your amazing grace in working through me. Amen.

No comments: